Study Webs of Active-Learning for Young Aspiring Minds (SWAYAM) is a programme initiated by Government of India and designed to achieve the three cardinal principles of Education Policy viz., Access, Equity and Quality. The objective of this effort is to take the best teaching learning resources to all. SWAYAM seeks to bridge the digital divide for students who have hitherto remained untouched by the digital revolution and have not been able to join the mainstream of the knowledge economy.
All the courses delivered through SWAYAM are interactive, prepared by the best teachers in the country and are available, free of cost to any learner and can be accessed by anyone, anywhere at anytime.
Learners wanting a SWAYAM certificate should register for the final proctored exams that come at a fee and attend in-person at designated centres on specified dates. Universities/colleges approving credit transfer for these courses can use the marks/certificate obtained in these courses for the same.
The courses hosted on SWAYAM are in fourquadrants :
- Video lecture
- Specially prepared reading material that can be downloaded/printed
- Self-assessment tests through tests and quizzes and
- An online discussion forum for clearing the doubts.
In order to ensure that best quality content is produced and delivered, the following Nine NationalCoordinators have been appointed :
- NPTEL (National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning) for Engineering)
- AICTE (All India Council for Technical Education) for self-paced and international courses)
- UGC (University Grants Commission) for non – technical post-graduation education)
- CEC (Consortium for Educational Communication) for under-graduate education)
- NCERT (National Council of Educational Research and Training) for school education)
- NIOS (National Institute of Open Schooling) for school education)
- IGNOU (Indira Gandhi National Open University) for out-of-school students)
- IIMB (Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore) for management studies)
- NITTTR (National Institute of Technical Teachers Training and Research) for Teacher Training programme)